The Meaning of the Glorious Qur'an

The Meaning of the Glorious Qur'an - Mohammed Marmaduke Picthall Moses is a major character in the narrative. The other messengers of God, Adam, Noah, Jesus, Abraham, John the Baptist, Mohammad and some others are entwined in the story. St. Paul is not. Particularly anything that gives credence to Jesus as being the Son of God or God or any credence to the Trinity is completely shot down. This are things that I did not realize about the Koran.

There are also sections that deal with how to vanquish your enemy and how to fairly treat them afterwards, some basic beliefs necessary for being a Muslim, and how important it is to be kind to others (orphans, the poor, the less fortunate and basically everyone else). God is all knowing, all forgiving, all wise, all just and other 'omnis'. There is a more clear cut nature to God than there is within Christianity. There are also statements on rights for women and inheritances and by 7th century standards not too bad. Though, slavery is allowed in some forms.

Clearly, from the book itself, there is more insistence on orthopraxy than orthodox behavior. Christianity can go either way depending on how you settle on the belief verse works question. I saw this interesting article recently in the New York Times where they interviewed an Evangelist who clearly sided on the side of belief such that he would say the only thing that matter for your salvation is that you believed that Jesus died on the cross for your sins and you accept that belief. The article Kristoff New York Times Column on what makes a Christian The Koran sides mostly on the works side of the debate. The protestant revolution (at least Luther and Calvin) lean towards the belief side of the equation. They go back to the Necessary God of Augustine with his made up 'free will' and negate Pelagius (or later on Erasmus) with his prayer or works making a difference for ones salvation. The Doctor of the Church St. Thomas Aquinas allows for a God who cares about the individual and works can make a difference because God necessarily created this world with a certain set of natural laws.

I know I went astray in the last paragraph and lost focus of the Koran itself. The New Testament itself can be read either way depending on the parts you want to emphasize. Mostly, if you ignore Paul and his letters, and focus on Jesus and his words you'll think our behavior matters more than our beliefs. There is an appeal that the Koran would have for someone who is not a big fan of St. Paul or for some one who never understood the Trinity, or for someone who beliefs that there is only one God and God would never have a Son (or as mentioned in the Koran God could have a son since he is all powerful but never would).