Monadology

Monadology - Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, Nicholas Rescher So that's what monads are! Leibniz is one of the best thinkers I have ever come across and he's a very clear writer. This book makes me think of the line, "besides that Mrs. Lincoln how did you like the play". Because, if you can get past the "best possible of all worlds", the necessary and absolute that he claims he gets from 'a priori' and 'a posterior' knowledge, his 'efficient and final cause', and his entelechy (think Bergson's 'elan vital') and his other religious items his monads make an incredible amount of sense in our current understanding of the quantum world.

There are definitely hints of the MWI (multi world universe) of Hugh Everett III and also hints of the Copenhagen Interpretation and at the basic level that our existence comes about because of our placement within the universe.

I stumbled onto this book because I'm currently reading Hegel's Science of Logic and it's clear that Spinoza's Ethics, Kant's Reason, and a Leibniz's monads play a central role for Hegel. Leibniz knows the truth to the[b:Truth and Method|213142|Truth and Method|Hans-Georg Gadamer|https://d2arxad8u2l0g7.cloudfront.net/books/1386921831s/213142.jpg|2317408] belief that "in order to understand the sentence one must first understand the words, and in order to understand the words one must first understand the sentence". Monads are the words and the universe is the sentence.

LibriVox has a very good copy of this book. It's only an hour long.