The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?

The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for? - Rick Warren According to this book, the path way to happiness lies with accepting the bible, understanding it, believing in Jesus (who is God come down to earth in order to suffer for some sins we all have), and going to Church.

It's very hard to separate the author's mysticism (he believes in demons and the devil, Noah is real, it was Adam and Eve that heard a talking snake) and his not explained but merely stated theology from his self help advice. I don't think there was an original thought in the whole book. It reminded me of the religious tracts I would find in the stalls of the public bathrooms last century. Reason is a bad thing, faith, submission, give your self over to a higher power and other such pablum are sprinkled through out the text.

This book is the perfect microcosm of what went as wisdom in the early part of the 21st century. I despise AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) 9 steps (or whatever the number is), but there is value in anyone talking with someone else who shares the experiences that you are going through. This book was like the AAs 9 steps (because I bet he had 7 or 8 of the steps in the book) but without the sharing except for the advice by the author to give the suggestion to have a "purpose driven life" you must go to Church. Churches are dying off in this country (and are less and less in Northern Europe) for a reason. If the best advice someone can give for purpose in life is only external (go to Church, read the bible, submit to God, and talk to imaginary people in your brain), then such a book as this should never have been written and most certainly never read by me.