Seveneves

Seveneves - Neal Stephenson I'm glad this one is finally over with. The author essentially wrote two completely different stories after all the time is separated by 5000 years. I enjoyed the first story. It had a lot of cool physics, biology, genetics and science speculation. Also it had a lot of nuanced themes such as much of what we do in life we do not because we believe in what we're doing but we can't see a better alternative and end up playing the roles we think we should (our world is always under-determined by our experience).

It's the second story that just doesn't click. All those points he's trying to make about our genetic race predetermines us and how they will be even more true after 5000 years of living in space; I just found it tedious. You know how there are two kinds of books, the one you don't want to get to the end of because it's so good and you don't want it to end or the other kind you just want to get to the end of it so you can finish it. This book belongs to the latter kind.

There are similarities between the first part of this book and "Aurora". I strongly recommend "Aurora" instead.