The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays

The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays - Albert Camus The only real question worth considering is how to reconcile our absurd existence, the certain knowledge of our impending death. Most literature is going to deal with one of two perspectives, firstly, our moral and ethical systems the invisible order of culture foists on us, or secondly it is going to address the question of our absurdity and how we deal with that.

I would definitely recommend this book for the modern reader. It gives a lens for how to look at how to filter most of literature (especially modern literature) and put it into terms such that people like me can understand it.

I've known multiple people who have started reading this book (including myself a long time ago) and gave up after a few pages because of it's complexity. It sort of helps to be familiar with some Existential Philosophers from the time of Kierkegaard and beyond.

If, for example, Husserl and his phenomenology, is alien to you, I would recommend "The Elegance of the Hedgehog". It's a very good existentialist fictional book but is readable because it's fictional and tells an interesting story and it will help you understand what the author is getting at in some sections of the essay.

I don't think Camus refutes his philosophical question ("why not suicide") very well in this essay. I think there are better responses. I stopped reading the other essays beyond Kafka, because they just didn't seem to add anything to the main essay.