Understanding The Universe What's New In Astronomy 2003 Dvd (The Great Courses Science And Mathematics) - Alex Filippenko Each lecture seemed to be more exciting than the one before it. The version of the lecture I had seemed to be from 1998, and the lectures don't suffer from being out of date. Professor Filippenko is on one of the teams that discovered Dark Energy, but at the time of the lecture that term is not yet used, and he talks about what it could mean if the universe's expansion rate is speeding up. His lecture on Dark Matter and how how we know it is certain was overwhelming convincing. Don't let anyone ever tell you it doesn't exist. Newton, his three laws, Tycho Brahe and why he matters, what did Copernicus' revolution mean, and even what's all this talk about Einstein's relativity, and so on, there was not a boring topic in the lecture series.

The lecture series is really divided into two parts. The first half is on Astronomy, the second half is on Cosmology. I much prefer the cosmology sections, because I've never met a theory or a fact about the workings of the universe as a whole that I don't love, but I really needed the first part of the lecture to understand our solar system and the steps that were needed for understanding the universe as a whole.

There's no way I would pay the kind of money "The Great Courses" charge for this course. You can find them at very reasonable prices and I would highly recommend buying this course in the resale market off of Amazon for around 30 bucks.