Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy - Eric Metaxas The book is more than a biography. The historical context of the times (pre-nazi Germany and the war years) was incredibly enlightening. The book also gives a great explanation of religious philosophy and how Bonhoeffer thought about theology. There were even some good peeks into the US in the early 1930's.

There's something to be said for a biographer who admires the person he is writing about as much as this author obviously does. It makes the story fairly easy to listen to. I would suggest that the author would have been better served by not making everything Bohhoeffer did seem so perfect and justifying any mistake Bonhoeffer might have made. Sometimes the mistakes we make serve to make us more divine and don't need to be explained away.

The narrator did an excellent job. He reads it with the idolizing tone the author had intended and he doesn't butcher the German passages at all.

You'll get a uncritical biography (which make for the most listenable biographies), some of the best historical context of the time, and good explanation of the theology of Bonhoeffer.