The Philosophy of the Enlightenment

The Philosophy of the Enlightenment - Ernst Cassirer It's easy to see why this book is considered a classic today. It was originally written in 1933 and most writers and lecturers of the Enlightenment have obviously read it because it's easy to spot this book's influence in their expositions.

The author divides philosophical thought into each of its different categories such has, Science; Psychology & Epistemological; Law, State, and Society; History; Religion; and Aesthetics and then looks at how the 17th century thought about the problem from its rational perspective, then considers how the great thinkers of the 18th century would have included reason and experience to the problem and then summarizes what the greatest thinkers thought about the problem as an Idea and then formalized that into an Ideal.

This book was very habit forming. In the first couple of pages the author could be didactic and was hard to follow what he was trying to say, but after an initial slow going I started to understand his style, and I would find myself reading well past my bed time since I couldn't stop reading this somewhat addictive (but difficult at times) book.