Meno

Meno - Plato, Benjamin Jowett, Chiquito Crasto In the Meno Plato is really defending the logos (rational discourse) and why we need it for self-awareness since we really can't be taught but must discover for ourselves where knowledge (about reality) and true opinions are formed. People can trivialize the dialog and say that Socrates (Plato?) believes in re-incarnation, but I don't see that dialog in that way at all, but, rather, since if knowledge ('justified true belief about scientific objects') is absolutely possible while its opposite, relativism (sophisticated sophistry, rhetoric) is not there ultimately requires a starting point and Socrates needs to assume a non-relative place, much in the same way that Kant creates his 'categories of our conceptions' since Kant wants to show that the absolute knowledge (universal, necessary, and certain) exist and is knowable.

I'm starting to realize why I like Plato so much. He reminds me of Hegel's [b:Phenomenology of Spirit|9454|Phenomenology of Spirit|Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1425522818s/9454.jpg|995802]. Both authors have a tendency to see the world as ideas about ideas which lead to other ideas and finally might relate it somehow to the concrete at least in Hegel's case, but with Plato he'll relate it back to the good and noble and how that relates to knowledge about the ethical and political. In the intro it's stated how Plato is often misunderstood by modern readers. Partly because of the way Aristotle wrongly characterized Plato and then Augustine appropriates him for his own religious purposes.

This is a free version available from LibriVox. I enjoyed the introductions, "On Meno" (part I) and "On the Ideas of Plato" (Part II) so much I re-listened to them after having finished the dialog and then went on to re-listen to half of the dialog. I enjoyed this presentation that much.